The overall purpose of Brethren for Biblical Authority is to provide a networking opportunity for like-minded leaders & churches within the Church of the Brethren. The Theological viewpoint for "B4BA" can be seen on the Faith Statement & supporters tab above.

A B4BA goal is to move beyond the distractions & struggles of the denomination and THRIVE, in spite of what's happening in the COB.


This site is independant & not affiliated with the Church of the Brethren, or any district.

Site Editor Contact:

revstiles@atlanticbb.net

Preaching hate ?

Since my last blog post drew a strong knee-jerk reaction in which I was told I was preaching hate, I thought I would offer this anecdote this week.

In a recent small group meeting, one of the participants mentioned attending a revival service.  I found the depiction of the service to be very troubling.  As the message and the atmosphere of the event were explained to me,  the meeting  sounded like one of the worst cases of legalism, self-righteousness, superiority and even perhaps hateful preaching, that I have ever heard.

The atmosphere of the church hosting the event really sounded like religion to me, in a very bad way. They had lists for how you were to dress, how when and where women were allowed to speak and of course the biggie, the only acceptable version of the Bible is the King James version.

If you happen to be a big fan of the King James Bible, that’s fine, but you need to know  a few things. First of all, the King James Bible is not a translation of the original Greek,  Hebrew and Aramaic texts. It is a translation from Latin to English, it was done in a hurry because it had been ordered by a King James.

This King James only movement, in my opinion borders on idolatry, because it elevates one particular translation of the Bible and treats it like a precious heirloom personally delivered into our hands by Jesus. Also there are mistakes in the KJV.  For instance the name of God, “Jehovah. ”  That is just plain wrong. When God identified himself to Moses the word he used was Yahweh!

Beyond the atmosphere full of self-righteousness and piety, the content of the message my friends heard was very troubling. It sounded like a hate festival reminiscent of the kind of fury stirred up in George Orwell’s novel 1984.

The sermon contained a long list of businesses that Christians should not support.  And while he was at it, the preacher also made a lot of derogatory remarks about other churches and ministries.

"Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand." (John 15)

While the preacher did have Scripture to quote, he was doing what is called “proof texting.”  That does not involve the use of a cell phone. Proof texting is whenever you have an idea that you want to put forth and look for verses in the Bible that support your point of view.

This kind of “ministry” really helps contribute to the negative attitude that many people have about the church.  Also it creates what I call a fortress mentality. The great commission of Jesus tells us that we are to go into all the world and make disciples. We are not going to be too successful at that when we spend our time making long lists of people to stay away from.
In closing let me offer this Scripture from John 15:


12 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. 17 These things I command you, so that you will love one another.