The overall purpose of Brethren for Biblical Authority is to provide a networking opportunity for like-minded leaders & churches within the Church of the Brethren. The Theological viewpoint for "B4BA" can be seen on the Faith Statement & supporters tab above.

A B4BA goal is to move beyond the distractions & struggles of the denomination and THRIVE, in spite of what's happening in the COB.


This site is independant & not affiliated with the Church of the Brethren, or any district.

Site Editor Contact:

revstiles@atlanticbb.net

Ducks & Political Correctness

The reaction of Americans to the situation involving Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson, and his comments made in GQ magazine, remind me of the Chick fil A controversy in the summer of 2012. Both fiascos demonstrate how deeply polarized our culture is. My purpose in writing this post is to respond and offer my take as a pastor.

 Within the Christian community, I’ve always tried to be careful about what I say about other people who share their faith in a ministry of some sort. EX: Joel Osteen. I don’t care for his preaching & I have some concerns about his Theology, but I’m not likely to discuss that outside of my church; and he is reaching a large group of people. So, who am I to criticize? I’m reminded of the scripture: Romans 14:4 “4 Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

 Phil Robertson, in a unique way is also reaching a large audience. I see the obvious chord Robertson is striking, and many people are encouraged by him. We live in strange days, and God is using unusual people. As far as Duck Dynasty goes, I find it rather underwhelming. I’ve watched 4 or 5 episodes and my conclusion is, this is just another boring “reality TV show.” Honestly, I’m not a good TV critic. I just don’t watch much TV. I simply choose other forms of entertainment. The best thing I’ve seen from Phil Robertson is this message he gave at Saddleback church.
In these days I’ve adopted a little motto: Don’t judge someone God is obviously using.

 The Christian faith is not always something that cleans up well to conform to a politically correct society. 1 Peter 2:7-9: 7 Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who are disobedient, “The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone,” 8 and “A stone of stumbling And a rock of offense.

 Jesus love us all ! But, He came to set us free from sin, not to simply hand us a “get out of hell free card.” To a woman caught in adultery, Jesus forgave her AND said, “Go and sin no more.” In the Robertson case and the Chick fil a situation, progressive activists decided to take a swing at well- known American Christians. Their rhetoric articulated their outrage and offense at the words or private business decisions of others.

 This is the same general crowd that screams for “tolerance,” as long as you agree with their agenda. In both cases, the progressive attempts to gain support for their politically correct agenda seem to have backfired, somewhat. Perhaps they underestimated the reactions of American people out here in flyover country. The Cathy family (of Chick fil a) and the Robertson family (of Duck Dynasty) have platforms from which to speak. When they speak, what they say resonates with many straightforward American Christian people, even if Robertson’s words were a bit “off color.”

We live in a very off color world. Thus, I understand why so many people are reacting. There is a lot of anti-Christian ideology out there, and some powerful people who want to muzzle Christians. The climate in America right now just makes situations like this more intense. I will soon be 50 years old. Also, I have been in full-time ministry since I was in my early 30’s. During that time I have seen our country change drastically, and have become aware of the need to be careful with everything I say because someone might take offense. We can't be plain spoken folks like we were 20 years ago. I have learned the value of being “real,” instead of pious. People tell me they find that refreshing. I’m not perfect, and sometimes I say something that can be too edgy.

 When it comes to taking offense, as a Christian I could talk for the rest of my life about things in our culture that I find offensive. The entire tone of the GQ article about Phil Robertson is snarky, sarcastic, and demeaning. It was clear to me after a single reading that the author was mocking the Robertson family after being welcomed into their home.

 I haven't heard anyone mention that perhaps GQ should offer the Robertson family an apology. Make no mistake, I am NOT calling for that. As a matter of fact, I will actually make a case for not becoming offended. There is a magnificent book called “The Bait of Satan.” It was written by John Bevere. Put simply, the bait is offense. When we become offended with another person, especially another Christian, we open a door and invite Satan to walk in and wreak havoc.

 Here is my big concern: Political correctness has a strangle hold on America now. It is the biggest threat to our culture, because it opens the door and lets in many other problems. I am working on a much bigger piece on political correctness, so I beg your patience as I pull it together. It may even turn into an ebook.

 Every once in a while someone like Phil Robertson manages to rip the duct tape off of his mouth long enough to say something politically incorrect. When this happens, progressive types spring into action to stomp down the traditionalist, and once in a while the sleeping giant of traditional America pays attention and reacts. Surprise at the outcry is a little strange.

If you throw a rock at a hornet's nest, you could get stung. Progressive activists are hard at work changing the very structure of our culture. I know them all too well. I cross paths with them every summer at our church annual conference. Honestly, they have been pretty successful.

 Like many other American church denominations, you could say that mine has become two completely different churches trying to share the same name. The value system and biblical interpretation of the two groups are night and day.

 Conflict will always be a part of people groups. How we handle them is what matters.

 The duck dynasty situation never involved government intervention. But the situation with Chick fil A did. The mayors of Boston and Chicago both made statements telling Chick fil A they were not welcome to do business in their cities. A Chick fil a leader made statements in support of traditional family and marriage. I am not aware of any statements that attacked homosexuality directly.

 When it comes to political correctness, this is not the beginning of a slippery slope. We are already on a slippery slope and our culture is sliding downhill very quickly. I present the following to demonstrate how effective progressive activism is. And, I remind you, I wrote this piece as a response. I take no joy in mentioning homosexuality once again. It’s a sin, like all other sins.

 Homosexuality was classified as a mental illness until 1973.(1) The American Psychological Association made the declassification due to the presence of constant protesters at their conventions and the influence of “Sexologist,” Alfred Kinsey who was himself a very troubled individual. I’ll simply mention that Kinsey rendered himself impotent, due to his experiments with self-torture. However, Kinsey would be a topic for another day. I have a stack of information on him. (2)

 (1) –“Legislating Immorality,” George Grant & Mark A. Horne. – Page 117
 (2) – “Intellectual Morons,” Daniel J. Flynn. – Chapter 2